2013-05-08 21:01 EDT
- Read (at least) these things (All The Words):
- From “Unix for Mac OS X Users” at lynda.com
- Ch.1. Intro to Unix - Command structure
- Ch.1. Intro to Unix - Kernels and shells
- Ch.1. Intro to Unix - Unix manual pages
- Read (All The Words), Do, and then Submit via Blackboard:
- READ ALL THE WORDS
As of 1am Thursday January 17 here are the file name upload errors:
user xxxxxx96: Bad file name: Assignment01.txt
user xxxxxx13: Bad file name: assingment01.txt
user xxxxxx40: Bad file name: assignment01.txt.txt
user xxxxxx80: Bad file name: assing1xxxxxx80.txt
user xxxxxx19: Bad file name: assignment 1.tt
These students will only earn half their marks. Are you one of them? Go to your assignment upload area and check your file name!
- Review last week. Did you do everything assigned last week?
Spell your file names correctly. See above.
See the draft of Assignment #02 HTML.
- Never use the userids
abcd1234. These are example userids used in the notes that are meant to be replaced with your own userid. If you try repeatedly to log in to the Course Linux Server from home using these non-existent userids, your home IP address will be locked out for a day or two.
Incorrect login userid
abcd0001 used into the Course Linux Server causes IP lock-out:
Failed password for invalid user abcd0001 from 126.96.36.199 port 36326 ssh2
refused connect from modemcable003.184-58-74.mc.videotron.ca (188.8.131.52)
- GNU is a Free Software Foundation (FSF) project
- rewrote Unix as free (libre) software (the way it started out, pre AT&T)
- chief architect: Richard Stallman (original author of EMACS)
- the GNU kernel hasn’t progressed far (named HURD)
- but lots of GNU utilities exist
- The late Aaron Swartz on Software Freedom and Web Applications
- people took the working Linux kernel originated by Linus Torvalds and added all the Unix-compatible GNU utility software from the FSF
- Linux and GNU software is released as “free software” under the General Public License (GPL) that permits free redistribution
- “free” as in “libre” or “free speech”, not as in “gratuit” or “free beer” FLOSS == Free/Libre Open Source Software
- the GPL copyright license is often called “copyleft”, since it is designed to give you rights and preserve rights, not take them away
- When you install Ubuntu, Red Hat, Mandrake, Caldera, Yellow Dog, Yggdrasil, Debian, S.U.S.E., Slackware, etc., you are installing a distribution (“distro”) of Linux.
- you’re paying only for the packaging, since Linus Torvalds makes no money from the use of his GPL kernel software
- you can redistribute what you receive in a Linux distro for free (unless the distro includes non-GPL software)
- the Linux programming API is compatible with the POSIX operating system standard API
- source code that compiles for Unix/POSIX will compile on Linux
Take Notes in Class
| Ian! D. Allen - email@example.com - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: http://idallen.com/ Contact Improv: http://contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Free/Libre GNU+Linux) at: http://teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom: http://eff.org/ and have fun: http://fools.ca/
Plain Text - plain text version of this page in Pandoc Markdown format
Author Ian! D. Allen