2013-05-08 21:01 EDT
- Read (at least) these things (All The Words):
- Week 03 Notes HTML - this file - ** Read All The Words **
- Unix/Linux File System and Pathnames (ROOT, absolute, relative, dot, dot dot
- Directories: ROOT, /root, HOME, /home, and current
- Finding Help in Manual Pages - RTFM
- Searching for and finding files by name, size, use, modify time, etc.
- List of Commands
- From “Unix for Mac OS X Users” at lynda.com
- 2. Filesystem Basics
- The working directory 2m 49s
- Listing files and directories 3m 59s
- Moving around the filesystem 4m 58s
- cd, TAB filename completion, absolute/relative paths
- Filesystem organization 4m 12s
- ROOT, standard Unix folders
- 3. Working with Files and Directories
- Naming files 5m 41s
- Unix is case-sensitive, OSX is case-insensitive!
- avoid special characters or blanks in Unix pathnames
- Creating files 2m 19s
- Unix text editors 6m 39s
- Reading files 5m 35s
- Reading portions of files 3m 27s
- Creating directories 2m 40s
- Moving and renaming files and directories 8m 32s
- Copying files and directories 3m 7s
- Deleting files and directories 3m 38s
- Searching for files and directories
- 5. Commands and Programs - Command basics 4m 4s
- Read (All The Words), Do, and save (not for hand in)
- Read (All The Words), Do, and then Submit via Blackboard:
- READ ALL THE WORDS
Bad file name: Assignment01.txt
Bad file name: assingment01.txt
Bad file name: Assignment 1.docx
Bad file name: Assignment 01.txt
Bad file name: assignment01.txt.txt
Bad file name: assignment 1.tt
- Review last week. Did you do everything assigned last week?
- First Midterm test date: Thursday February 7 3pm (Week 5)
- Second Midterm test date: Thursday March 21 3pm (Week 10)
- Please send me a copy of the Rap Video …
- Your in-class notes go here.
- Put your Name and contact information on your laptop.
- Put your Name and contact information on your power cable.
- Put your Name and contact information on your external drive.
- Put your Name and contact information on everything.
- When you do the work for another student, your mark goes up (because you practice the commands) and their mark goes down (because they did nothing and can’t remember anything on the tests and exams). Make sure you are not helping another student to fail the course!
- Spell your file names correctly. See above.
- See the draft of Assignment #02 HTML. Note the NEW DUE DATE.
- Never use the userids
abcd1234. See last week’s notes.
Some crackers try to fetch the password file from my machine using long strings of parent directories in Web URLs:
aku.staff.makson.us - - [15/Oct/2008:21:16:13 -0400] "GET /http://www.1stproducts.com/2007/index.php?content=http://www.toonzone.net/teentitans/index.php?content=releases/soundtrack/tokyo/index/index.php?content=../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd%00%0D?? HTTP/1.1" 404 914 "-" "libwww-perl/5.813"
lincl849.intelfon.com - - [17/Oct/2008:16:50:14 -0400] "GET /cst8129/02f/notes//affiliates/index.php?md=../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd%00 HTTP/1.1" 404 684 "-" "libwww-perl/5.805"
ns228591.ovh.net - - [23/Apr/2012:23:28:50 -0400] "GET /index.php?inc=../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd%0000 HTTP/1.1" 404 654 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; FreeBSD i386; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050609 Firefox/1.0.4"
Take Notes in Class
| Ian! D. Allen - firstname.lastname@example.org - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: http://idallen.com/ Contact Improv: http://contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Free/Libre GNU+Linux) at: http://teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom: http://eff.org/ and have fun: http://fools.ca/
Plain Text - plain text version of this page in Pandoc Markdown format
Author Ian! D. Allen